Monday, March 31, 2008
It has been 5 years since Leslie Cheung's death and how time has flown by so fast. April 1st is always consider a sad day for fans of Leslie Cheung. For the past week, I kept thinking on what to write for the 3rd year about remembering Leslie Cheung. I hope I can come with a good entry for the 3rd year. Till this day, Leslie Cheung is still a popular performer, whether it is in acting or singing, he was one of a kind for talent. Nowadays, we see performers go for the money and it is no more on the performing for a living side.
As I was listening to a radio program from Hong Kong on the Internet sometime last week (March 24, 2008), this RTHK DJ said that fans still want to see him, listen to him and care about him. It almost brought me to tears when hearing 無需要太多 (English translation, Don't Need Too Much). All I can say that his music and movies will still live on forever.
I feel blessed that I have kept in contact with other DJs from Hong Kong about Leslie Cheung and other kinds of music. You know who you are if you get to read this.
Here are my previous entries from 2006 and 2007 on Leslie Cheung.
April 1st, 2006 Entry
April 1st, 2007 Entry
Sunday, March 30, 2008
I never expected to go back to the Black Sheep Inn on Saturday night. I went to The Acorn's concert at the wonderful small venue in Wakefield, Quebec. It was another usual "surprise" of sorts to see Amanda Putz again! At least she was with her CBC Radio in Ottawa colleagues. I get to see Alan Neal in person for the second time (TV appearance doesn't count), but I don't know if he's getting used to seeing me.... yet. Although, I have him (well, his radio program) on MySpace to lean on for contacting.
I wasn't planning to go to The Acorn's concert until my bro begged to go and they recently returned from their US tour and attending SXSW Festival in Austin, Texas.
Prior to going to the concert, I spent some time going to Rideau Centre to kill time and unexpectedly buy something. As you see on the photo on top with Putzy and myself doing the gangster look, I got a new hat at Roots. Even though, I lucked on the CBC Radio 3
How can I not forget about the photos via Flickr, http://flickr.com/photos/lenny-wu/sets/72157604310505423/
Friday, March 28, 2008
On Thursday, I went to the Basia Bulat concert at Zaphod Beeblebrox. I was glad that Basia still remembers my bro and myself. Although, the funny thing was that she forgot my name. Another funny moment as we were checking Basia and her band were on sound check, I was standing near my bro and out of nowhere, Amanda Putz appears and I made a funny surprise gesture because she just came out of nowhere.
All in all, the concert with Katie Stelmanis and Amos The Transparent were excellent. I didn't expect to see a lot of people to see Basia Bulat. I am guessing Basia is becoming a word of mouth.
Here's the Flickr link from Thursday's gig. http://www.flickr.com/photos/lenny-wu/sets/72157604284974647/
Monday, March 17, 2008
I apologize for not having an entry for March and here I am trying to write an entry. All I can say that it has been a crazy time with the free time I still have.
There were a lot of things happening.
- March 7, I went to a friend's birthday dinner which also turned to clubbing later on. This was on the eve and start of the big snowstorm. Here's link via Flickr, http://www.flickr.com/photos/lenny-wu/sets/72157604072720403/
- March 8, I had a lion dance performance at Hilton Lac Leamy in Gatineau, QC. This was during the massive snowstorm that blanketed Ontario to the Maritimes. Here is the link to the photos, http://www.flickr.com/photos/lenny-wu/sets/72157604077374547/
- March 9, I got Super Smash Bros. Brawl for the Nintendo Wii, 'nuff said. Let's say that it was after the massive snowstorm and was barely able to get Super Smash Bros. Brawl.
- March 10, I got a chance to meet Immaculate Machine (pictured above) at an in-store performance. The band members are nice and I had a chance to chat with them before and after the concert. Here are photos from the performance, http://www.flickr.com/photos/lenny-wu/sets/72157604095038057/.
- March 13, I went to The National Gallery of Canada for this event called "Are You In?" It was a March Break event for the teens. I know I am not a teen but I came out in support of Amanda Putz and to check out The Love Machine because they are getting played on CBC Radio 3. I also got to see former MuchMusic VJ/host, Jennifer Hollett at the event. What I didn't know was that Amanda Putz had CBC Radio 3 goodies and I wanted to get the
Coming up, I will be seeing Immaculate Machine again on Good Friday as they will be with Ladyhawk at Zaphod Beeblebrox. On Thursday March 27, I cannot wait to check out Basia Bulat again but at Zaphod Beeblebrox. Hopefully she still remembers from the Hayden concert back in January.
In early April, I will finally get to go to the Stars concert at the Bronson Centre.